4 Major Causes of Car Accidents in Glendale – How Defensive Driving Might Help Prevent a Deadly Crash
Glendale, California has a population of 196,841 residents, according to the latest United States Census data.
This ranks Glendale as the third most populous city in LA County, behind only Los Angeles and Long Beach.
The city is well-known for its shopping centers. The Glendale Galleria boasts over 200 stores, while 29 percent of all guests at the Americana at Brand visit more than once a week.
While shoppers travel to and from the various malls, it’s important to remember that car accidents in the area are frequent. Studies show that over the last five years, Glendale is home to a yearly average of about 663 car accidents that result in injury.
Car accidents can happen for numerous reasons. According to the National Safety Council, here are four of the more common causes:
- Driving too fast – in the five most recent years of studies, research shows that an average of 27 percent of all motor vehicle deaths were related to speeding. Excessive speeding reduces a driver’s ability to safely stop due to any hazards.
- Careless driving – also known as reckless driving, drivers may choose to ignore street lights and signs, speed up to make it through yellow lights, or partake in other seemingly aggressive driving behaviors. If the driver is careless, pedestrians and other vehicles can wind up in harm’s way.
- Failure to yield right of way – if a vehicle arrives at an intersection before you, they have the right of way to continue first. At a pedestrian crosswalk, the person traveling by foot always has the right of way, even if you get there before them. Drivers often ignore these rules, putting others in danger. These rules are extremely important around mall entrances.
- Improper lane usage – California law states that drivers can only make lane changes when it is reasonably safe to do so, and if they give the appropriate signal. Improperly using lanes to pass other vehicles or partake in otherwise reckless behavior leads to a bevy of accidents.
Across the entire state of California, the city of Glendale ranks in the top 50 for car accident injuries over the last three years. For Glendale drivers, what can be done to prevent accidents and commute safer on the road?
One suggestion is to drive defensively, not aggressively.
According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, defensive driving requires all drivers to “think ahead”. Drivers need to prepare for the unexpected, and stay alert of their surroundings.
Defensive drivers usually:
- Take their time and don’t speed to their destination. They leave their place of residence early as a way to prevent and usually overcome unforeseen obstacles.
- Remain on the lookout. A defensive driver is not only paying close attention to other vehicles, but for pedestrians and even animals, too.
- Avoid distractions. Paying attention to a text message, or reaching for a bag of fries, can distract a driver from potential impediments on the road.
- Stay calm. Despite being on the “defense”, defensive drivers keep their cool in high-pressure situations. They refuse to engage when other aggressive drivers try intimidating them.
Glendale residents and visitors who get in a car accident can be seriously injured. Some of the more frequent injuries associated with car crashes are:
- Whiplash or other severe neck injuries
- A bulging disc, discs, or other severe back injuries
- Chronic neck or back pain
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Broken bones and fractures
- Various wounds like deep cuts that can damage nerves
- Various wounds like lacerations and scrapes that might lead to permanent scarring
- Lower body injuries to the legs, feet, etc.
- Upper body injuries to the arms, hands, etc.
- Internal bleeding
- Punctured or damaged organs
- Wrongful death
If you were injured in an accident, contact our Glendale car accident attorneys. At C&B Law Group, specialize in different motorized vehicle accidents, such as:
- Truck accidents, like ones on the 210 and 134.
- Motorcycle accidents
- Rideshare accidents, oftentimes for those commuting to or from work.
- Pedestrian accidents, which can be frequent in Downtown Glendale, near Broadway or Brand
Our dedicated team of Glendale personal injury lawyers will work with you to hold all negligent parties responsible for any damages you may have incurred, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
Our staff includes both Spanish and Armenian speakers to help with your claim. We have clients all over Southern California.
We’ve successfully settled over 99 percent of our cases. We want to try and settle yours, too.