Los Angeles Wrongful Death Attorney
If your loved one died due to the negligence of another party, you may be eligible to file a wrongful death claim in Los Angeles. Wrongful death occurs when a person dies because of the neglect or delinquency of another. A wrongful death lawsuit is different from any criminal charges that may be brought about against the other party because it is a civil action.
To file a wrongful death suit, you must be able to prove:
- A person has died
- The death was caused by negligence or intent
- Surviving family members are suffering financially due to the aforementioned death
According to California law, code 377.60, those who can file a wrongful death suit may include:
- The deceased’s surviving spouse
- The deceased’s surviving domestic partner
- The deceased’s children
The code also states that if the parents of the decedent are entitled to the potential estate of the victim and they too are deceased, then the victim’s legal guardians may bring about a case “as if they were the decedent’s parents”.
Damages that may be available in a wrongful death claim include:
- Medical bills for the deceased from before their time of death
- Funeral expenses
- Wages the deceased may have earned
- Loss of financial support for family members
There is a two year statute of limitations for a wrongful death claim in California.
A known-example of a wrongful death suit involves Brandy Norwood. In 2006, the musical artist and star of the ‘90’s sitcom Moesha crashed into another car on the 405 freeway, killing the driver of the other vehicle. The victim’s husband and parents both sued Norwood for wrongful death due to what they claimed was reckless driving. The case was eventually settled out of court in 2009.
Car accidents are just one of many potential causes of wrongful death, including:
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Rideshare accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Long term effects from a traumatic brain injury
- Slip and fall
- Construction accidents
Why C&B Law Group?
- Our lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you don’t pay us unless we win.
- We have an incredible track record of settling 99% of our injury cases, including over 3,000 cases in six years.
- Your initial phone consultation with our attorneys is 100% free. We’ll review your case, and ensure we have the necessary information in order to take the next steps.
Each case is unique and will have its own set of circumstances. Death is never easy, and if bills are accumulating after your loved one passed away, our Los Angeles wrongful death lawyers are here to guide, advise, and fight for you. If you think you lost a loved one due to the negligence of someone else, contact us today at (855) 477-2365 to set up a free consultation!