Driving on the 405 Freeway – Accident Causes and Interesting Statistics
Stretching from the OC all the way north to Sylmar, the Office of Highway Policy Information reported the 405 freeway is the fourth most traveled location by annual average daily traffic in the United States.
There is no greater fear than having to travel across the 405 freeway for many SoCal drivers.
Multiple studies show Angelinos spend hours and hours stuck on freeways, and the 405 is one of the leading culprits for congestion.
There are multiple factors that contribute to heavy traffic on the 405 freeway, including:
- Travelers to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
- A growing population in Southern California.
- Commuters who work in West Los Angeles, Santa Monica, etc. but live in the San Fernando Valley or Long Beach.
- Visitors to the beaches on the West Side and South Bay.
With a plethora of cars, there is a large number of accidents on the 405 freeway.
Data (login required) suggests that there were 1,098 total crashes on the 405 freeway in 2022. A little over one percent of these accidents were fatal.
Over 57 percent of the reported accidents on the 405 freeway were rear-end collisions. The next highest rate, a sideswipe, was only a little over 17 percent of the total.
In terms of accident types, nothing was higher than the crash rates involving speeding.
According to the study, 55.24 percent of all crashes on the 405 freeway were caused by drivers traveling at an unsafe speed.
Other major causes of accidents on the 405 freeway include:
- Improper turning (18.51 percent)
- Unsafe lane changes (8.75 percent)
- Driving under the influence (7.38 percent)
In total, there were 22 different accident causes reported.
One would think the busiest times on the 405 freeway are mornings and evenings before or after work on weekdays. The study reveals different times of the day as having more car accidents.
Monday and Friday between the hours of 3 PM and 6 PM saw the highest number of car crashes, with a total of 43 on average during that selected time period.
Other times with an elevated number of accidents include:
- Friday from 6 PM until 9 PM
- Friday from 12 PM until 3 PM
- Tuesday from 3 PM until 6 PM
- Thursday from 3 PM until 6 PM
- Saturday from 12 PM until 3 PM
Additionally, an astounding amount of drivers took the brunt of being an injury victim on the 405 freeway. 72.53 percent of all victims were drivers.
If you were injured on the 405 freeway, you may be entitled to compensation for your car accident injuries.
At C&B Law Group, our LA car accident attorneys have helped victims injured in crashes recover millions of dollars in compensation.
We can help you with your case starting with a free consultation. If we believe you have a claim, we will help you by building a fact-based case built on evidence.
We will have to prove negligence on behalf of the other driver who hit you. All drivers on the freeway have a duty of care they must provide in order to protect others, like you, on the road.
Failure to provide duty of care could result in a responsible party being found 100 percent liable for your injuries.
Even if you caused the accident, you may be able to recover damages. California is a pure comparative fault state, so you could realistically be held only partially responsible for a crash.
California has a high-rate of motor vehicle accidents. The Golden State has seen an average of over 155,000 fatal or injury-causing accidents over the last three years.
Common injuries resulting from car accidents on the 405 freeway include:
- Serious head injuries like a concussion
- Constant back pain
- Whiplash or other injuries to your neck
- Vision issues from glass to the eyes, including permanent or partial vision loss
- Vital organ damage, such as blood seeping into the lungs or other internal injuries
- Broken bones after the sudden impact of a crash
- Deep wounds like cuts that can disfigure or permanently scar your body
- Lacerations that dig deep enough to rupture tendons or muscles
- Chest injuries that affect your heart
- Injuries severe enough to result in death
Whether you were headed to a flight out of LAX or visiting Santa Monica Pier, you have the right to seek compensation for your personal injury after a car wreck on the 405 freeway.
The LA personal injury attorneys at C&B Law Group are interested in learning more about your potential claim.
Contact us today about a free consultation regarding your LA car accident.