2022 Thanksgiving Travel Accidents in California – Positive Tips to Ensure Your Safety
The holiday season is approaching quickly, and Thanksgiving will bring families together.
AAA expects over 48 million travelers via automobile this Thanksgiving. While there will no doubt be burnt turkeys and upset football fans, the risk of a car accident is also high for travelers. The National Safety Council has reported an average of over 400 deaths at Thanksgiving time for those traveling over the last five years. Thanksgiving continuously ranks in the top five for holiday accident fatalities.
Many Angelenos will be visiting family members by car. If you find yourself in an automobile accident while traveling this Thanksgiving, remember to follow these steps:
- Get to safety if possible
- Call 911
- Call the police
- Collect information about the vehicles involved in the accident, including specifics like the license plate number, year, make, color and model.
- Ask any drivers involved for their contact information, driver’s license, insurance, and registration. Use your phone to take photos of these documents.
- Make a record of how the accident happened with info such as the location, time, date, and more. This can be a note on your phone.
- Take photos of the accident scene, including all damages to not only your car, but the other cars.
- Contact your insurance to let them know what happened. Give them your statement on the incident and send any previously mentioned documentation that you gathered.
Furthermore, drinking and driving doesn’t take a break for the season. It’s estimated that 29 percent of Thanksgiving fatalities involve an impaired driver. If you’re on the road, it’s important to be aware of some of the signs of drunk drivers, including:
- Inability to control a vehicle, like swerving in and out of lanes
- Excessive stopping/breaking
- Slow or fast response to traffic signals
- Driving without headlights at night
- Making illegal turns
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
The holidays can already be stressful, and the last thing you may want is to get in an accident. It can not only affect your family psychologically, but the physical ramifications can be catastrophic. If you get into an accident this Thanksgiving weekend, contact the Los Angeles accident attorneys at C&B Law Group. From Burbank and Glendale to the beach cities, our accident lawyers are here to help. Don’t let a car crash ruin your holiday. Cherish time with loved ones. Contact us today about a free consultation.