Can I Sue if I Fall on a Sidewalk in Los Angeles? 4 Elements to Prove for a Potentially Successful Case
A fall on a sidewalk may lead to serious injury.
A fall is extremely common amongst those 65 and older. According to the Center for Disease Control, three million older people are treated for trips and falls each year. They also report that if these stats continue at the same rate, there will be seven deaths per hour due to slips and falls by 2030.
The average American walks 3,000 to 4,000 steps per day, according to the Mayo Clinic. To some, there’s nothing more relaxing than a walk on Ocean Ave or a trip to see the stars on Hollywood Boulevard. However, it may not always be a step in the right direction.
A fall is such a common injury. Like many other types of accidents, they are extremely unpredictable.
Even trying to prevent such an injury may not be successful. Many fall victims are just going about their normal day or routine when they find themselves suffering an injury.
There can be many different contributing factors that lead to a fall on a sidewalk –
- Wet surfaces
- Uneven surfaces
- Uncovered holes
- Hidden holes
- Improper design
- Missing gravel
According to the Los Angeles Controller, there were over five thousand sidewalk repair requests made in 2021 alone, and over 14,000 in the last five years.
A fall on an LA sidewalk may be hard to prove. Having an attorney on your side to help build a case can be crucial as to whether or not your claim is successful and you receive any compensation.
There are a few elements that must be verified, such as:
- The defendant controlled the premises and had a duty of care
- The defendant was negligent in the use or maintenance of the property
- The plaintiff was injured
- The defendant’s negligence caused the injuries sustained by the plaintiff
The main element to prove in a slip and fall claim is negligence. California Civil Jury Instructions 1003 outline the conditions to establish negligence:
- The condition on the property created an unreasonable risk of harm
- The defendant knew, or should have known, about the risk of harm
- The defendant failed to fix, protect against, or warn against the risk of harm
If you or a loved one recently suffered an injury on a sidewalk in the city of Los Angeles, Burbank, Glendale, etc., contact our attorneys today. You may have a case for your injuries.
We have a proven track record of successfully fighting for our clients . Our philosophy is simple:
- You don’t pay unless you win: our legal services for your case are 100% free until we are victorious.
- Your initial attorney consultation is also entirely free.
- Commitment to Excellence: we’ll fight to get you the justice and compensation you deserve.
There are many injuries one can suffer after a fall on a sidewalk in Los Angeles:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (extremely common in those who suffer a fall and are ages 65 or older)
- Neck Injuries
- Back Injuries
- Cuts and Bruises
- Broken or fractured bones
This is just a small fraction of some of the injuries you may be suffering from after your accident. We will do our best to recover the maximum compensation for your case due to your injury. We will try to help you with –
- Present medical bills stemming from the injury
- Future medical bills stemming from the injury
- Loss of wages due to your inability to work
- Pain and Suffering damages that came about from the accident
Our friendly staff is here to help and answer any questions you may have. Don’t wait. The statute of limitations for a fall in California is two years. Reach out today about a free consultation.