Odds of Dying in a Car Crash – 4 Alarming Top Causes
Your odds of dying in a car crash are 1 in 101, according to the national safety council.
While no one wants to compare a car crash to the wonders of Los Angeles like beaches and movie sets, with thousands of Angelenos on the road, the number of accidents becomes undoubtedly high. In 2017, there were over 156,000 accidents in Los Angeles county.
While it’s not always pleasant to think about, a large amount of vehicular fatalities occur everyday. According to the Transportation Injury Mapping System, Los Angeles county has seen over 2100 crashes resulting in either serious injury or fatality since 2019.
There are several factors that may increase the odds, including, but not limited to:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol – In the United States, someone dies of an alcohol related accident every 50 minutes. Driving under the influence greatly impairs drivers, and can cause loss of concentration, inability to maintain speed, reduced ability to keep position in your lane or brake properly, and more. These dangerous signs can greatly increase your chances of dying in a vehicle.
- Frequent Driving – There’s no question that the more you drive, the more susceptible you become to being in a fatal car accident. With an influx of rideshare drivers who spend their working time traveling via motor vehicle, it shouldn’t be a surprise that the chance of death increases.
- Reckless Driving – In 2020, the number of people killed by cars increased by 7.5 percent despite a 13 percent decrease in the number of miles traveled via automobile. With fewer cars on the road that year, traffic was lighter, which enabled drivers to travel at more dangerous speeds.
- Time of day – Driving at night increases the risk of a fatal accident. Driving with less light reduces visibility, making it more difficult to see objects on the road or other hazards.
As always, it’s important to pay attention to the rules of the road to help with traffic safety. Being alert and knowing your surroundings can assist in preventing a car crash.
If you’ve been in a serious car accident, the Los Angeles car accident attorneys at C&B Law Group want to assist you. Your satisfaction is our desire. We are committed to excellence, and will do everything we can within our legal power to ensure your justice and compensation. Our 99 percent track record of settling our injury cases and our client testimonials indicate a proven history of success. Common areas of injury among clients involved in a car crash include:
- Wrongful Death
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Broken bones
- Nerve injuries
- Nerve damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
You may be able to recover the following damages:
- Medical expenses – From doctors visits to rehab or physical therapy, these bills can pile up fast, and they are generally not cheap. We will try to help you recover funds for any past, present, or even future medical bills relating to injuries from the car crash.
- Pain and suffering – There is both physical and mental pain and suffering. It’s not uncommon to see victims of an accident go through episodes of depression, anxiety, etc.
- Loss of wages – Your injuries from the accident may be serious enough to prevent you from working. This can cause a major disruption to your routine, and with new medical bills, plus regular expenses like a mortgage/rent, car payment, and other utilities, your financial suffering may seem irreparable.
The car crash attorneys at C&B Law Group are on your side. From your initial discussion with one of our staff members until the end of your case, we vow to continuously fight for you.
Contact our Los Angeles area car crash lawyers today about receiving a free consultation.