Is Drowsy Driving as Dangerous as Drunk Driving in California?
While different, Drowsy Driving has Many Similarities to Drunk Driving.
Fatigued driving, also known as drowsy driving, has become a leading cause of accidents across the USA. The NHTSA reported over 600 deaths due to drowsy driving in 2020.
The CDC lists many contributing factors to drowsy driving accidents, including:
- Staying awake for extended or consecutive hours
- Lack of sleep over multiple days, weeks, or even months
- Prolonged periods of inertia
- Sleep disorders such as sleep apnea, narcolepsy, etc.
- Various medications that may cause drowsiness
While they are not identical, there are similarities between driving drunk and driving drowsy, including, but not limited to:
- Dozing off while behind the wheel
- Delayed reaction to other drivers or traffic lights/signs
- Drifting from lane to lane
There are tips to prevent drowsy driving, including:
- Get enough sleep (around eight hours each day)
- Sleep in a quiet area, free of distractions like electronics
- Pay attention to medication labels for prescriptions that may cause drowsiness
If you get in a car accident:
- Get to safety.
- If you were injured, call 911
- Gather any and all information about the vehicles and drivers involved like the license plate number, year, make, model, and color of the vehicle or vehicles
- Ask any drivers involved for their contact information, driver’s license, insurance, and registration. Snap photos of these documents if possible
- Make a detailed record of how the accident happened. Make note of the location, time, date, and road conditions
- Take photos of the accident, including all damages to not only the car, but the area
- Contact your insurance agent to let them know what happened. Go over the incident with them using the information previously gathered at the scene of the accident.
If you or a loved one were recently involved in an accident with a drowsy driver, contact our Los Angeles car accident attorneys today. You should speak to one of our lawyers as soon as you possible if you were injured. At C&B Law Group, we know that it can be discouraging after an accident trying to deal with any physical and psychological ramifications. It’s why our LA attorneys are here to help. We have decades of combined experience building strong cases and a proven track record of recovering significant compensation for our clients.
Contact us now for a free consultation.