What if I was Injured at a Los Angeles Sports Game? 5 Causes That May Surprise You
Los Angeles sports are one of most the exciting parts of the city
Attending a Los Angeles sports game can be fun and relaxing. Afterall, LA is home to some of the most prestigious franchises in sports.
The Lakers have won 17 NBA championships, plus the Dodgers drew over 3.8 million fans to games in 2022, leading all of Major League Baseball.
Other Los Angeles sports teams like the Kings and Rams are staples of the city, and at the collegiate level, fans flock to USC football games every fall.
Angelenos spend a lot of time at sports venues year round. While games are generally enjoyable, there is a risk for injury.
Most fans don’t attend Los Angeles sports games thinking of getting injured. However, injuries can happen at any time, usually when you least expect it.
Think back to 2008, when a fan was hurt at Dodger Stadium after a piece of a bat broke and hit her in the jaw.
One of the more common injuries at a Los Angeles sports game is a slip or fall. There are various potential causes, including:
- Unmaintained seats or stairs – Especially at older stadiums that may need remodeling, a seat could collapse while a spectator is seated.
- Malfunctioning elevators and escalators – An escalator can help fans get from one level of the arena to another. If they are not properly maintained, a defect could create a hazard.
- Liquid spills – A study from Major League Baseball reported that approximately 6,000-16,000 beers are consumed every day across MLB stadiums. Many brews will end up spilled, which creates a serious slip and fall risk for other guests.
- Poor lighting – A dimly lit area, especially near walkways or stairs, can be highly dangerous, increasing the chances of a trip.
- Falls from a platform – Stadium seating can be high and elevated, and unsafe conditions from the stadium put others in peril. In 2021, a woman and her infant son fell to their death at Petco Park in San Diego. Her parents filed a wrongful death suit, alleging negligence against the stadium due to tables and benches that were placed too close to guardrails.
It’s the stadium’s responsibility to inform guests of any potential injury risks. Failure to do so could be negligence on behalf of the venue.
For instance, you’re attending a Chargers vs Raiders game at SoFi Stadium. If there is an issue with an escalator that could lead to injury, the stadium should have a sign warning fans of such a threat, such as blocking the area.
Another interesting situation that could lead to injuries at a Los Angeles sports game involves unruly fans.
While competition is generally friendly, fights between supporters of opposing teams happen far too often. An infamous example occurred outside of Dodger Stadium in 2011.
San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow was viciously assaulted on opening day, suffering a traumatic brain injury as a result of the attack. His family filed a lawsuit against the Dodgers for $37.5 million for damages including lifetime care and lost earnings.
If you find yourself in an escalating incident with another patron at a Los Angeles sports game:
- Don’t engage. This can only exacerbate the situation.
- Leave the area.
- Contact security. Many teams have text lines available if such a situation arises.
If you were injured at a Los Angeles sports game, our personal injury attorneys at C&B Law Group are here for your case.
For example, you may need assistance gathering evidence to build a suit. Our lawyers will make it a priority to see your claim through to get you the maximum compensation possible.
Frequent injuries at a Los Angeles sports game may include:
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Cuts and bruises
- Broken or fractured bones
- Nerve injuries
- Nerve damage
If you were injured at a Los Angeles sports game, contact the lawyers at C&B Law Group today. Your initial consultation is free, and you won’t pay until we win.