Holiday Accidents – Tips for Ensuring a Safe Season in 2022
Holiday accidents can occur in many different ways this season.
The holiday season is here, and although we associate this time with family, gifts, and large meals, it’s prime for various holiday accidents and injuries. If you are one of the over 8 million Californians who traveled last year, or are planning to visit family this year, there are steps you can take to prepare for in and out of state travel to avoid holiday accidents.
Many families will travel near and far for the holidays, but accidents won’t take a break. The National Safety Council estimated there would be over 350 Christmas travel fatalities last year, up nearly 10 percent from 2020.
If you are in an automobile accident this holiday season, follow these tips to help with safety:
- Call the police. If you are out of state, it is a good idea to do it regardless, as the police can make a report of the accident.
- Collect any and all information about the vehicle or vehicles involved in the accident, including particulars such as the license plate number, year, make, color and model.
- Ask any other drivers involved for information such as their driver’s license, insurance, and registration.
- Make a note of how the accident happened with info such as the location, time, date, etc.
- Your phone can be your best friend in the event of an accident. Take photos of the accident scene, make notes, and record video.
- Contact your insurance and let them know about the accident. Give them your statement and forward any documentation that you gathered.
- Contact an accident lawyer to help with your case.
Holiday lights can be a beautiful sight to see. However, elaborate rigs at storefronts and on city walks are often set up by non-lighting professionals, posing the danger of electrocution.
While the image of Chevy Chase being electrocuted by lights in National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation may be humorous, there is great risk with such detailed light systems. They can cause serious holiday accidents.
A few general guidelines:
- Unplug the lights! Leaving them on all day can create a higher risk of danger.
- Be aware of any broken bulbs, as they can lead to shocks.
- Don’t overcrowd outlets.
Electrocutions are serious, and can result in injuries such as:
- Neurological damage
- Psychological pain
FALLS AND OTHER INJURIES
Setting up a tree with ornaments at your office can be visually pleasing for you and your colleagues, and a potluck with coworkers is common. It’s important to be aware of potential holiday accidents, such as cutting yourself on a broken glass ornament or burning your hand while cooking up a dish in the office kitchen. Take your time – there is no rush to set up ornaments.
Another common injury may include slips or falls, such as climbing a ladder to put up holiday lights or other decorations at your place of employment. It’s best to always be cautious, and ask for help if need be. If using a ladder, ensure its sturdiness. Follow the same guidelines outlined for setting up lights as well.
Holiday accidents can put a strain on your season. If you were injured during the holidays, you should contact a Los Angeles injury attorney. Our knowledgeable lawyers at C&B Law Group have helped countless people recover the compensation after suffering from an injury.
Our trustworthy lawyers have expertise in areas such as:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Burn injuries
- Slip and fall
- Personal injury
With over 3,000 cases in 6 years, we have an incredible track record of settling 99% of our injury cases! Let us represent you. We will try to recover the maximum compensation for your injuries due to holiday accidents. Reach out to a Los Angeles attorney. Contact us today for a free consultation.